Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Book Tasting Cafe: Gathering anecdotal evidence about student reading behaviors

The idea of the "Book Tasting Cafe" was sparked in 2008 when Jennie Scott-McKenzie posted about her activity, "Chez Dewey" on LM_Net. She had designed an activity to engage students in learning about the Dewey Decimal System by "ordering" books using a menu, but spin-offs quickly emerged. 

Today, the most common iteration is to set up the library like restaurant with books to "taste" as a way to hook students on choosing pleasure reading titles. The special touches of a place setting, placemat, tablecloths, menus, and other details create an ambiance conducive to reading and a feeling of ownership over one's book choices.

I've done variations of Book Tastings over the years because it's a great way to promote books, encourage students to take time to read into a book, and make reading feel like a special activity.  

But what I REALLY love about Book Tasting is the anecdotal evidence I gather while the students are busy reading.

While the students read silently at their tables, I watch them like a mama hawk. 

I'm watching to gather evidence about each one as a reader. What I learn about each child during the Book Tasting helps me connect him or her with books throughout the school year.

I learn...

  • which students can get into the flow of reading quickly
  • who struggles to keep their focus
  • which students flip right to the end
  • which students drift from the page quickly
  • which genres grab their attention
  • which students like lots of white space
  • which students are willing to take a risk on an usual book
  • which ones like a challenge
  • which ones read fast 

Book choosing behaviors I see...

  • starting in the middle
  • smelling the pages
  • reading the first page and looking at the cover again
  • reading the blurb and moving on to something else
  • reading the blurb and telling a friend about it
  • flipping to the end to read the last page

These little bits of personal information about students' reading behaviors and preferences go into my mental file. When a child comes to the library, I pull up my memories of the Book Tasting and use the information I gathered to suggest books that will fit with what I saw that day. 

December Book Tastings in our library at
Oberoi International School in Mumbai

"Tasting" Notes


One genre per table
Students choose where to sit
They can move or stay where they are, depending on
how much they are enjoying the book. 
Five minutes per table.





No comments:

Post a Comment