Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Community-Building with the Library Whiteboard

Every library I've worked in has a "usual crew" - a group of students who consider the library a home base at school. They come every day, sometimes multiple times. 

I understand why they come; it's for all of the same reasons I choose to work in libraries myself. The library feels safe, expansive, private, and social. It feels personal and inclusive. It's a mix of many feelings that add up to: "I want to be here."

My personal challenge as the librarian is to create a climate in the library that expands the numbers of the "usual crew." 

I love the regulars and I want more of them.

Right now, after four years together, we have a lot of regulars. On an average morning, almost 200 middle and high school students fill up every chair, bean bag, sofa, pillow, or square of laminate flooring available. 

Many elements keep them coming (and perhaps this post is the start of a series of ideas on those) but today, I'm grateful for the simple strategy of our weekly whiteboard prompt as a way to welcome and continue to attract teens to the library.

At the beginning of each week, I write a question or prompt on the large whiteboard at the entrance of our library. Throughout the week, students (and teachers) chime in with their ideas. When we also housed elementary students, I changed the prompt daily because it got so filled up. But now, with only middle and high school students, the responses come more gradually and even, sometimes, more thoughtfully. 

As I watch them pour in each morning, I love to see their faces light up (or smirk, or grimace) as they read the latest responses. Invariably, the notes interact with each other and the collective responses become a kind of community.

This week, it has been foggy in Lima (STILL). 
So, on Monday, I wrote: "Talk about the sun." 
In response, we've got diagrams, odes, encouraging words, and a dose of snark ("Good luck seeing it in Lima"). 



Each week, the board captures the fun, the depth, the wisdom, the wonder of Teen Thought. I love to see what they come up with, and I think they love having a place to contribute their ideas.

Sample prompts:
What color are you?
Whom do you admire?
What are you reading?
Favorite restaurant in Lima?
Talk about the universe.
What would you like to know?
What can you make?
Write a six-word memoir.

I do take suggestions - such as "Favorite Dinosaur." Now that took an interesting turn!
Another use for our Whiteboard: 
Stick Together Puzzles

No comments:

Post a Comment