Tuesday, January 24, 2012

No Caldecotts here

A Ball for Daisy just won the 2012 Caldecott

I'm sure it's a lovely book, but for whatever reason, I did not choose to buy it this fall. I will now, rest assured, but it's much more fun to already HAVE the Caldecott winner in our collection. 

I bought lots of other great titles this year, ones that were on many "Caldecott Contender" lists, but alas, they came up short of the gold medal. Happily, I did buy two of the three silver medal winners: Blackout and Me...Jane)

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

And so for this week's book talk post, I list 10 picture books in my home that I dearly love, none of which have won the Caldecott. 

What picture books do YOU have lying around that missed the Caldecott call?

1.    

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad    Day
written by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz
2.

The Midnight Farm
written by Reeve Lindbergh and illustrated by Susan Jeffers
3.

Toot and Puddle: You are My Sunshine
written and illustrated by Holly Hobbie

4.

Herbert the Lion
written and illustrated by Clare Turlay Newberry
5.

The Easter Egg Artists
written and illustrated by Adrianne Adams
6.

Corduroy
written and illustrated by Don Freeman

7.

Abuela
written by Arthur Dorros and illustrated by Elisa Kleven
8.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
retold by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Helen Oxenbury
9.

Harold and the Purple Crayon
written and illustrated by Crockett Johnson
10.

The Sweet Smell of Christmas (Golden Book)
by Particia M. Scarry

* Nostalgia alert!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I will have to compile a books I love that didn't win the Caldecott too. I too did not have A Ball for Daisy on hand. We have Me...Jane and I Want My Hat Back. I was considering reserving some other contenders before the award ceremony, but A Ball for Daisy still might not have made the list b/c I am not much of a dog person. However, I have now reserved A Ball for Daisy and am may the billionth person on the waiting list at our local library.

    ReplyDelete